Family Indemnity Plan
We want our members to enjoy a great quality of life, even in the unplanned for inevitable sad moments in life when tears are the hearts best way of expressing unspeakable pain when we lose a family member. We encourage a proactive approach to the sensitive taboo word that we are cultured to not talk about because it seems to suggest that doing so would be bad timing and insensitive. However, since the inevitable is indeed inevitable, we provide you our members with great options to ensure that you and loved ones are covered whenever the untimely visit of death is at your door step.
We offer you our Family Indemnity Plan (FIP)!
- One monthly premium covers final expenses for you and up to five eligible family members*
- No medical examination required when you sign up.
- You are eligible to receive the full individual benefit (per person) where valid claims are made**
- You get lifetime insurance coverage once you apply before age 76 and the application is approved.
- Is available at JPS & Partners Credit Union.
Who is covered:
- Your spouse/significant other
- Any combination of up to two (2) parents or parents-in-law. These persons must be enrolled before age 76. (A maximum of two (2) claims will be paid for this category of insureds.)
- Your children (including dependent children under your legal guardianship, aged one (1) through twenty-five (25) who are not yet married).
- Children who are permanently disabled are covered for the duration of their lives once they are enrolled before age twenty-six (26).
How does FIP work?
Eleven coverage options are available, so you can choose the one that best fits your needs. The premium cost varies according to the plan you select and can be quoted when you enroll.
FAMILY INDEMNITY PLAN (FIP) OPTIONS
Grace Period: Except for the first (initial) premium payment, this insurance has a 31-day grace period. This means that if the premium is not paid on or before the date that it is due, it may be paid during the 31 days following the due date. During this time, insurance coverage will remain active as long as the premium is paid within the grace period. The grace period will not apply if coverage under your FIP is terminated by CUNA Caribbean Insurance Jamaica Ltd or by you.
- Complete enrolment form.
- Pay first months premium
- Verification of name, identity, age, relationship and address.
- There is a six (6) month waiting period from the effective date of your certificate, during which only claims arising from accidental death will be paid.
Types of Verification
Please see types of verification outlined below:
To verify identity:
- Driver’s License
- National ID Card
To verify name:
- Birth certificate
- Deed poll
To verify age:
- Birth certificate
To verify relationship:
- Marriage certificate
- Birth certificate
- Court order
- Common law declaration form
To verify address:
- Utility bill (not more than 3 months old) – must be in the applicant’s name.
- Credit Union/Bank Statement (not more than 3 months old)
- National ID Card (only if it’s not used to verify identity)
- Proof of Address form to be signed by Justice of the Peace (JP).
How to make a claim?
- A death certificate, as written proof of loss, must be submitted by JPS & Partners Credit Union to claim individual benefits upon the death of you or your covered family members.
- CUNA may require additional proof of loss in order to determine benefits, and have the right to require an autopsy if its not forbidden by law.
- Claims must be presented to CUNA via JPS & Partners Credit Union within two (2) years of the death of you or your covered family members.
If a claim is not presented within this stipulated period, the claim will be disallowed.
All insurance under the FIP policy will terminate when:
- JPS & Partners Credit Union gives you notice of termination.
- CUNA provides notice of termination (you will be given 31 days of advance notice in writing)
- If your Credit Union fails to process your premium payment to CUNA within the 31-day grace period.
Your insurance coverage under the chosen Plan will terminate when:
- You withdraw from the Plan
- You discontinue your JPS & Partners Credit Union membership or you are no longer affiliated with your FIP provider organization.
- Your premium payments are 31 days overdue
- Non-duplication of coverage: In no event may you or your covered family members be insured through more than one FIP member certificate.
- Insurance for unmarried, living children and dependent children under your legal guardianship will terminate when they reach 26 or marry.***
- Premium Rate Adjustments: Premium rates are based upon the claim experience of the Plan and shall be reviewed annually and may be changed no more than once a year.
- If the premium rate is changed, you will be given 31 days of advance written notice.
Documents Required to File a Claim
In order to reduce the processing time for a FIP claim, the following documents must be submitted along with the claim and proof of death form:
- Valid government-issued ID and proof of address for the claimant.
- Valid government-issued ID for the deceased.
- Valid death certificate for the deceased.
When will Claims be Paid?
Family Indemnity Plan claims will be paid out within two (2) working days, provided that there is no need for investigation or queries, and once the appropriate forms are submitted.
- Suicide: If suicide is committed by your or your covered family members within two years of the effective date of this insurance, CUNA Caribbean Insurance Jamaica Ltd. Will not pay the individual benefits.
- Terrorism: Individual benefits under this policy are not payable if you or your covered family members become injured, ill or die resulting directly or indirectly from: nuclear reaction, radiation or radioactive contamination.
- Criminal Activity: If you or your covered family members die as a result of being involved in any criminal activity, CUNA Caribbean Insurance Jamaica Ltd. Will not pay the individual benefits.